Edit private pages with the new bookmarklet
At long last PrintWhatYouLike has a real bookmarklet! Now you can include the PrintWhatYouLike editor in any page just by clicking the bookmarklet. Here’s how it works:
- Install the bookmarklet by going here
- When you come upon a page that needs some editing, click the PrintWhatYouLike button in your bookmarks toolbar
- The PrintWhatYouLike editor will appear around the page you’re on. The editor works the same as if you had loaded the url into printwhatyoulike.com, but you will never leave the page you are on
- When you are finished making changes, click the PrintWhatYouLike button again, and the editor will disappear. Only your modified page will remain
The bookmarklet has a couple advantages over entering a url into printwhatyoulike.com
- more convenient – you never leave the site you’re on
- works on any page, including private/password protected pages like webmail!
The bookmarklet works on map sites like mapquest and google maps. It does not work on the default view of ajax-heavy email sites like Gmail (Gmail’s iframes wreak havoc on the editor), but it does work on the printer-friendly view.
Since you can now use the bookmarklet on private information, a quick note on privacy is in order: The bookmarklet does not record or distribute any information about you or the page you are viewing. With one exception: If you click “Save as Pdf,” the content of the site you are on is forwarded to a 3rd party service which converts it to a pdf. PrintWhatYouLike does not store any of this data, but I cannot make any guarantees about the 3rd party service. So if you are reading the CIA personnel list or the recipe for Coka-Cola, I would recommend against using ‘Save as Pdf’. Everything else is safe. You can easily verify this by using a tool like livehttpheaders, firebug or wireshark to spy on the bookmarklet.
As always, if you find something which doesn’t work or you have any questions, let me know in the comments.
Entry filed under: site news.